The Chapel of the Capuchins and its convent
The Capuchins are the result of a 1528 reform of the Franciscan friars, disciples of St. Francis of Assisi. The Capuchins arrived in Valais as part of the Catholic reform in 1602. Passing through Monthey, they were welcomed by the Abbey of St-Maurice. The community was established in 1610 and settled under the Bourg. Built in 1647, the Capuchin Convent was destroyed by the great fire of 1693 and rebuilt three years later. It was enlarged in 1940 with the construction of an art-deco chapel by Alexandre Cingria's group of St-Luc and St-Maurice.